Agile is an idea or a philosophy. First time ever, Divide and Rule policy is helping businesses like never before. Divide the feature implementation in different phases, take continuous feedback from the customer, and rule over the customer's heart and mind. Agile brings pace to development and delivery, while DevOps practices make sure that the pace is maintained, and hence it complements Agile. Consider Agile as an engine of a train while DevOps practices or continuous practices or automation as a smooth track.
The Agile Manifesto was created in 2001 to find better approaches to build software or application. The Agile Manifesto includes four values and twelve principles. It helps to integrate new cultures in the application development process. The main objective is to have a high quality package with faster time to market.
There are 12 principles according to Agile Manifesto. Let’s understand the most important of all principles, which is explained as follows:
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software: The show and tell or iteration review is a meeting where all stakeholders review the work and give their feedback. It is better to give a product with minimal features to the customer, take feedback, and integrate it to gain confidence and customer satisfaction.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage: Culture to accommodate feasible changes throughout the development process helps customers gain competitive advantage. It also encourages the Development Team to implement a feature or fix a bug without resistance.
- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale: Shorter delivery cycles or Sprints mean continuous delivery of application or software to customers. It helps gather feedback, which it integrates in the development process to meet customer requirements.
- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project: Communication and collaboration are main pillars of Agile and DevOps culture. It is easier to implement features which fulfills acceptance criteria when all the stakeholders are aligned.
- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done: People, processes, and tools are an important part of this initiative of culture transformation with 6 Agile, DevOps and Cloud Computing with Microsoft Azure people as the center. Happy, inspired, and dedicated professionals meet customer requirements more often than not.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information within a Development Team is face-to-face conversation: Direct communication is most effective with co-located Development Team members. It is important to enable it, instead of wasting time in long discussions, by working within the frameworks that implement Agile principles.
- Working software is the primary measure of progress: It is always good to deliver software that functions as expected by the customer or the end user. That is the ultimate measurement of satisfaction, success, and improvements.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely: Agile frameworks enforce continuous development by nature. It allows learning from past mistakes to estimate better and work efficiently.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhance agility: Apt technical and behavioral skills, minimum yet required team size, efficient implementation of Agile principles, and efficient design help to maintain speed for faster time to market and adopt change.
- Simplicity--Understand Requirements and implement what meets acceptance criteria. Follows KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.
- The Best Architectures, requirements,and designs merge from self-organizing teams: Self-organizing teams take responsibility and bring transparency with regular communication and collaboration. Technical competency, behavioral aspects, trust, transparency, continuous improvement, and continuous innovation are some of the important traits of a good team.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly: Retrospective reflection plays an important part in Agile development as it drives the team to continuously improve itself by discussing past actions and learning from them. Learning can be in the form of improvements, such as communication, collaboration, process, technical skills, and so on
out most for you, but the above are possible abbreviations. If you are looking to learn more about Agile, then check out our book "Agile in Practice".