It takes a unique approach to model as it breaks down character creation using an easy-to-follow formula that makes the learning process less daunting. The author presents an overview of modeling basics and then shows how to block out the body, shape body parts, add details, and create joints and controls using Maya 8. By the time you've finished the book, you have created a figure that is textured, rigged, and ready to be animated.
- Understand the building blocks of modeling, including quads, edge loops, normals, UVs, and mapping;
- Discover how "modeling by the formula" eases the character creation process;
- Find out how to create a UV layout that makes texturing easier.
- Learn how to place joints and controls and skin your character so it deforms properly when animated.
- Companion CD included with the images from the book, Maya files to help build the character, AVI movies that show the modeling process in real-time, and Mel scripts for installing a character modeling tool menu that can improve the user's workflow